CSS for beginners
Why CSS for beginners?
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) are what give your HTML pages their beautiful appearance. You've got the HTML structure down, now it's time to make your website look great!
Cascading Style Sheets have become an important component of W3C recommendations. (X)HTML Strict relies on stylesheets for all stylistic presentation, the Web Accessibility Initiative makes use of CSS for improving access for the disabled, and new work on HTML and XML will continue to make heavy use of CSS for the future. In this course, you will learn the basics of separating style from structure within an HTML document.
Students taking the course CSS for beginners will develop an introductory understanding of how to code for the web using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and to establish an awareness of the inconsistencies in rendering CSS between browsers. Handy when modifying templates.
Students should be comfortable with HTML or XHTML, you can simultaneously take the our course HTML for beginners.
Course Dates, Location and Duration
- Group Discount: 10% p.p. min 4 persons and up
- Students who take the HTML & CSS course simultaneously, will receive a 10% discount on each course, discount on normal price will be 15%.REGISTER NOW
What we will cover in this workshop:
A brief introduction to the tutorial and what you can expect to learn.
- Lesson 1: What is CSS?
- A little on why CSS came in to the world, and why it is clever to choose CSS over HTML for layout and design.
- Lesson 2: How does CSS work?
- Learn the basic syntax of CSS and have to create your first stylesheet.
- Lesson 3: Colors and backgrounds
- Learn how to apply colors and background colors to your website and how to use background images.
- Lesson 4: Fonts
- In this lesson you will learn about fonts and how they are applied using CSS.
- Lesson 5: Text
- In this lesson you will be introduced to the amazing opportunities CSS gives you to add layout to text.
- Lesson 6: Links
- About how you can add fancy and useful effects to links and work with pseudo-classes.
- Lesson 7: Identification and grouping of elements (class and id)
- A closer look at how you can use class and id to specify properties for selected elements.
- Lesson 8: Grouping of elements (span and div)
- A closer look at the use of span and div as exactly these two HTML elements are of central importance with regards to CSS
- Lesson 9: The box model
- The box model in CSS describes the boxes which are being generated for HTML-elements.
- Lesson 10: The box model - margin & padding
- Change the presentation of elements by setting the margin and padding properties.
- Lesson 11: The box model - borders
- Learn about the endless options when using borders in your pages with CSS
- Lesson 12: The Box model - Height and width
- In this lesson, we will take a look at how you easily can define the height and width of an element.
- Lesson 13: Floating elements (floats)
- An element can be floated to the right or to left by using the property float
- Lesson 14: Positioning of elements
- With CSS positioning, you can place an element exactly where you want it on your page.
- Lesson 15: Layer on layer with z-index (Layers)
- In this lesson, we will learn how to let different elements overlapping one another using layers.
- Lesson 16: Web-standards and validation
- This last lesson is about the W3C-standards and how to check your CSS is correct.
Bring your own Laptop
Participants must bring their own laptop with a wi-fi adaptor. We will provide internet access.
Download and follow the installation instructions.
During the course we will provide you with a test space.
...Or do you want to have your own Hosting + Domain name?
If you'd like to seize the opportunity to start designing your own website, you may already have your own hosting & domainname. Just make sure everything works properly and you have all working access credentials.
If you do NOT have your own hosting & domain name, we can set this up for you at an additional price, depending on your needs.
Our packages start from Awg 325 per year incl 1 .com domain name of choice.
Note: Accounts need to be working and tested 48 hours before start of the course (this would be before April 18).
Contact us for more information about this.
Your place in the course is confirmed by your payment. Introductory courses like these are intended for participants with no experience in the subject matter and are seeking beginner level training.
Down payments are recommendable to secure your place.
In the event that you cannot make it, please note that we do not refund your down payment.
Hosting & Domain name registration *Optional
Anthony Mezas is an experienced web designer. He started developing websites since 1998. Now he's very motivated to share his knowledge and experience.
Get a personalized, printed certificate
You can buy (Awg 25,00) a Statement of Participation for this course — a personalized, printed certificate to show that you've taken part.
Participants will receive in their mail a link to a section on www.shaqwan.com to this specific course.
Click on the Register Now button to process to the registration page.